[Histonet] What is considered Grossing according to CLIA and CAP? Definition?

Donna Emge djemge11 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 09:39:08 CST 2023

I hope someone here can help. I recently visited a lab that has the lab
assistants weigh placentas and document, cut the membrane off in one piece
around the placenta, cut the umbilical cord off 1” from the placenta, then
weigh again, document the weight again, and add the formalin for the PAs to
gross the next day.  They consider what the lab assistants are doing as
processing, not part of grossing. Is this correct? The PAs and Pathologists
would like the lab assistants to do this at our lab.

   1. What is the CLIA and CAP actual definition of grossing? Where do I
   find this?
   2. Is what the lab assistants are doing at that lab actually a part of
   grossing, or are they just processing the placentas by the regulatory
   definition?

Thank you in advance,

*Donna Emge, HT (ASCP)*
UChicago Medicine | AdventHealth
GL Regional Laboratory Manager | Histology

Donna.Emge(@)AdventHealth.com