[Histonet] A question for my hospital lab peeps

Normington, Lacy LNormington at uwhealth.org
Thu Feb 23 12:55:38 CST 2023

Hello Terri,
Please see an excerpt from our frozen section manual.

For all sentinel lymph nodes and non-sentinel lymph nodes obtained
from breast and gynecologic surgeries, entirely submit the lymph node
after serially sectioning perpendicular to the long axis at 0.2 cm
intervals. It is essential that all unique surfaces be represented, i.e.
opposing surfaces should not be embedded in the same direction.

How many frozen levels? Seeing as we are serially sectioning the lymph node, we only do a single level.
How many permanent section Levels? All remnants are submitted after frozen, again we only perform the microtomy of a single level.
Any unstained ffpe sections saved or stained IHC? It is not uncommon for AE1/AE3 to be requested which we then cut the IHC request followed by an additional recut H&E.

Thanks
Lacy Normington

Lacy Normington, HTL(CM)
She/Her/Hers