[Histonet] Crystals forming in Hematoxylin

Paula Keene Pierce paula at excaliburpathology.com
Thu Jul 9 12:21:29 CDT 2020

That is the aluminum salt precipitating out.
Paula Keene Pierce, BS, HTL(ASCP)HTPresidentExcalibur Pathology, Inc.5830 N Blue Lake DriveNorman, OK 73069PH 405-759-3953http://www.excaliburpathology.com

A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye. - Klingon Proverb

    On Thursday, July 9, 2020, 11:47:53 AM CDT, Terri Braud via Histonet <histonet at lists.utsouthwestern.edu> wrote:

 Hello Histo Peeps - What are the clear crystals that form in Hematoxylin?  We use Richard-Allen 7211.  We love the stain, but occasionally, when a bottle has been previously opened, we find clear crystalline precipitate forming in the bottom.  Today, we had a huge one (over an 2" in greatest diameter) that was quite beautiful.  It had a few occlusions of purple streaks, but otherwise was clear.  Doesn't seem to affect the stain, so I was just curious.
Inquisitively yours, Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory