[Histonet] Crystals forming in Hematoxylin

Hannen, Valerie Valerie.Hannen at parrishmed.com
Thu Jul 9 12:09:28 CDT 2020

Hi Terri,

The crystals form during cold winter months, usually during shipping or can form if the Hematoxylin 7211 is stored in a cold environment.  They also form due to the Mordant being put into solution at it's saturation point.
The crystals have no adverse effect on the stain itself.  If your bottle has a few crystals, just filter it and it should remain crystal free.  If there are a lot, you can gently warm it, using a "hot" plate and constant stirring until the crystals go back into solution, then filter it and is should be good to go.   I only learned this when I "googled" about it myself.  I hope this helps!!

Regards,

Valerie

Valerie Hannen,MLT(ASCP),HTL,SU (FL)
Section Chief, Histology