[Histonet] Fixed frozen non-paraffin mouse brain

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Tue Jul 7 10:19:39 CDT 2020

And a very good pennyworth it is, Carl!

You wrote,  "... someone must've originally thought: 'Hang on, if we fix in commercially bought 40% Formalin, it's got 10% methanol added (to slow rate of formaldehyde repolymerisation) ...that will compete with formaldehyde fixation. So, we get coagulative and additive fixation. That is not good, folks....let's get pure and use depolymerised paraformaldehyde: pure methylene glycol polymer'".

That's almost how it came about: let's get pure.  A fixative made from PFA should have the same composition every time it is freshly prepared. The 10% of methanol (MeOH) in formalin (40% HCHO) isn't enough to coagulate proteins, and neither is the 1% MeOH in 10% formalin (with 4% HCHO). You need 60-70% alcohol to coagulate proteins, viruses etc. Formalin also contains some formic acid; the amount increases with age, from oxidation of the aldehyde by air. Dilution with water always gives an acidic solution. Marble chips can be added bring the pH up to neutrality. Buffering also takes care of the formic acid and can provide a neutral (pH7) or a "physiological" (pH7.4) fixative solution. The usual phosphate buffer also makes the fixative solution approximately iso-osmotic with mammalian extracellular fluid. Before the 1960s, dilution of formalin with with saline (0.9% NaCl) provided "formal saline", which had some advantages over 4% aqueous formaldehyde. See books by J. R. Baker, which are available as free downloads from http://archive.com.

Polymerization also increases with age. That's why you see a white precipitate in bottles of formalin stored for a long time. The precipitate is paraformaldehyde (PFA); its presence reduces the amount of formaldehyde that can be easily released by simple dilution of  the formalin with water. According to R. Cares (1945: A note on stored formaldehyde and its easy reconditioning. J. Tech. Methods & Bull. Int. Ass. Med. Museums 25, 67-70), milky formalin can be cleared by autoclaving, for 30 m in Kilner jars. I wonder if anyone else has done this?

John Kiernan
Anatomy & Cell Biology
UWO, London, Canada
= = =