[Histonet] Fixed frozen non-paraffin mouse brain

Hobbs, Carl carl.hobbs at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Jul 7 13:29:38 CDT 2020

Chuckle
Thank you, John Kiernan
Yes...I appreciate your filling in them gaps.
I do understand/know them....having read, over the years many of the Giants of Histology who gave me such inciteful/usable  knowledge, including yourself.
I just didn't want to bloat my "pennyworth" otherwise it would become several Poundsworth , chuckle.
I am not worthy....
I recall having pp in unbuffered Formalin...we chucked it
Well, in those days one emptied it down the sink!
Sure, re Formic acid....
However, imho...that is a more theoretical problem, as Formalin was used up within a couple of weeks...in any of my Labs
I used to check the pH once a week.
In practice, there is much leeway in the use of Formalin....provided one is knowlegable regarding all the parameters?
Sure, it is not the "best" fixing fluid but....it all depends, as you intimated, on one's needs ( eg: Ultrastructural integrity v immunoreactivity)

Thank you very much for your elucidations
I always learn more....am happy to
I have the ORANGE book ( at work..I am on furlough) ...grrr...I fail to recall the most excellent author...on fixation. 1st edition
I thoroughly enjoy/ed reading it
It is another of my "Bibles"....it expands my mind just like any Bible should...imho.
A bible is like a learning curve: one must go back to it when in doubt but.....go forward when in no doubt but, supported/stayed  by that original knowledge
Hence, I can see further by standing on the shoulders of the giants that came before me?
Paraphrasingly...surely.
Your opinion re the Orange-covered book ?
Sure, there are many resources/publications regarding fixation...most are idiosyncratic....imho.

Respectfully

Carl

Carl Hobbs FIBMS
Histology and Imaging Manager