[Histonet] Formalin fixation for COVID-19 positive tissues .....

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Tue Apr 21 01:07:04 CDT 2020

Where aldehydes are used for disinfection we consider 30 minutes contact time
for difficult viruses like African Swine Fever (ASF) virus to be adequate.  Coronaviruses
like PEDv TGE IBV and the SARS virus are much easier to inactivate than ASF virus.
I'd consider the SARS virus to be similar to Infectious Bronchitis Virus which is systemic
and affects a wide variety of tissues.

Inactivating a virus in a chunk of tissue is more challenging than disinfection of contaminated
fomites but I see no reason to think that routine fixation times would not completely inactivate
the SARS coronavirus.  The concentrations of aldehyde for fixation are at least 10 times higher
than the highest concentrations used when aldehydes are employed for disinfection.

I'd be more concerned about the container than the contents.

For necropsy samples from your human specimens there is not generally any rush to get the results
so the CDC's C.Y.A. time doesn't cause trouble but waiting 72 hours for a surgical path result
would seem to be just wasting time.

E. Wayne Johnson DVM
Enable AgTech
Beijing