[Histonet] Permanent mountant for Oil Red O

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Mon Sep 16 12:30:42 CDT 2019

Fructose syrup gives a hard set, but it's a bit acidic (I don't know why) and is therefore incompatible with simple basic dyes, but it's OK for Oil red O and the Sudans.
   Fructose (also called laevulose or levulose)  15 g
   Distilled water  5 ml
Leave at ~60C (in paraffin oven) for 2 or 3 days for all the fructose to dissolve. Don't let the water evaporate!  The transparent syrup keeps well for 2-3 months at room temp.
With long storage fructose crystallizes under the coverslip; this can be retarded by sealing the adges with a resinous mounting medium such as DPX. (You can buy fructose powder for cooking - about $3 a pound on the the internet. Cf  $25-80 from chemical supply houses.)

Another good one is polyvinylpyrrolidone:
     PVP (m.w. 10,000)   25g
     Water (or a phosphate buffer pH 7.4) 25ml
      When dissolved (several hours, magnetic stirring), add 1ml glycerol and a small crystal of thymol.
Keeps for up to 3 years. Discard if it becomes cloudy. Use the buffered variety if the preparation has been stained or counterstained with a basic dye like toluidine blue or neutral red.
This is less viscous than fructose syrup, and also has a lower refractive index, but with evaporation at the edges of the coverslip it gradually (weeks) becomes harder, and its refractive index increases almost to that of a resinous mountant.  Probably you won't want to wait before shipping the slides elsewhere.  PVP costs more than fructose (about $150 per pound for PVP10).

This short article about aqueous mounting media is rather old (1997) but probably still OK:
http://publish.uwo.ca/~jkiernan/aqmount.htm

John Kiernan
London, Canada
= = =