[Histonet] How to prevent bubbling in pressure cooker for immunohistochemistry procedure

Donovan, Mark M.Donovan at alfred.org.au
Thu Oct 17 18:10:56 CDT 2019

Sabash,

What I think you may be referring to is the use of a surfactant in the antigen retrieval solution to lower the surface tension. The theory being it reduces bubble formation in the retrieval solution at high temperature and hence disruption of tissue.  Before moving to commercial antigen retrieval solutions we would add Tween 20 to a concentration of 0.05% to our in house citrate or EDTA retrieval solutions to achieve this effect.

Regards,
Mark