[Histonet] IHC-H&E-IHC HELP...

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood at health.nsw.gov.au
Thu Jan 3 17:27:21 CST 2019

Yep,

Definitely an issue.

You can easily stain the IPX slides with H&E, though the discernibility of the cells and tissue structure with the H&E will depend on the degree of DAB product laid down (eg I would expect it to be difficult with a Vimentin IPX compared to a CD15).

(Grosset, A. A., Loayza-Vega, K., Adam-Granger, É., Birlea, M., Gilks, B., Nguyen, B., ... & Trudel, D. (2017). Hematoxylin and Eosin Counterstaining Protocol for Immunohistochemistry Interpretation and Diagnosis. Applied immunohistochemistry & molecular morphology: AIMM.)

As for doing another IPX on the existing IPX stained section (with DAB as the chromogen), you will have to use a different label (eg alkaline phosphatase). The result will depend on the cell compartment the two antigens exist. If the DAB is nuclear, then a cytoplasm or cytoplasmic membrane localisation with the Alk Phosphatase will work. If both antigens are cytoplasmic, then you will not see co-localisation in the same cell since the DAB will prevent any antibody binding in the same compartment.

Assuming the above is good, then since the antigen retrieval tends to reverse over time, I would include a short retrieval before the second antibody.

Now after all that, I hope the section stays on the slide!

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Principal Scientist, the Children's Hospital at Westmead
Adjunct Fellow, School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
Pathology Department
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA