[Histonet] IHC Negative reagent controls

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood at health.nsw.gov.au
Wed Jan 2 22:06:57 CST 2019

Hi Cayman,

Unfortunately, applying HIER to a negative control for an antibody that requires enzyme retrieval (or no retrieval at all) is not appropriate.
The pre-treatment processes are different and could unmask different epitopes.
If you are using a negative control then the whole procedure needs to be same with the exception or replacing the localisation antibody with an Isotypic antibody solution. (Isotype controls are primary antibodies that lack specificity to the target, but match the class and type of the primary antibody used in the application.)

For example, applying citrate or EDTA HIER to sections prior to using the CD99 antibody (clone 12E7) can reveal perinuclear (golgi-like) staining of some tumours (eg some colonic carcinomas) but this is not seen if enzyme retrieval is used.

Hope this is useful

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Principal Scientist, the Children's Hospital at Westmead
Adjunct Fellow, School of Medicine, University of Western Sydney
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
Pathology Department
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA