[Histonet] cervical biopsy method

Kolman, Kimberly D. Kim.Kolman at va.gov
Mon May 14 11:59:46 CDT 2018

Looking for any folks out there who have experience with cervical biopsies obtained using the "SpiraBrush" technique.  It is from the Histologics Company and employs a fabric 'brush' to obtain the sample instead of the standard punch instrument.

One of our gynecologists would like to begin using it here to enhance samples; I am unfamiliar with it; my pathologist as well.  We wonder how labor-intensive it is to retrieve the fragments and how they well process.  My understanding is that the fragments would be very tiny; it sounds very unlikely to be able to orient them during embedding.....

Any input appreciated!
Thanks, Kim

Kimberly D. Kolman, HT (ASCP)
VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System