[Histonet] Slide labels falling off- Slidemate AS

Frazier, John john.frazier at roche.com
Wed Mar 28 13:16:24 CDT 2018

Stephanie I am a histology workflow consultant. I have seen this issue
at several sites that use the Thermo PrintMate. It uses a thermal
print head along with the print tape to put printed data onto the
frosted edge of a slide. Xylene being strong solvent and can easily
damaged this printing during the H&E staining process. First of all I
want to applaud anybody that is labeling their slides at the point of
cutting. Anytime that you label the slides after staining, that forces
you to handle label a slide then relabel the slide with the paper
label. This is were 67% of all miss labeling errors occur.
If this issue continues without resolution, I would look at moving to
a xylene resistant label and printer.  Continuing to applied the label
at the point of cutting (microtomy). These labels are known to stick
rather well and are not damaged by xylene. The label printers are not
expensive, About $750 for each label printer vs. $10,000+ each for the
Thermo PrintMate.
Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you

Sent from my iPhone