[Histonet] Help with preparing slides of baby guppies

Dearolf, Jenn Dearolf at hendrix.edu
Wed May 31 10:53:09 CDT 2017

Hello!

My name is Jenn Dearolf, and I am a professor in the Biology Department at Hendrix College, a small liberal arts college in Conway, AR.  I have written this list before to get advice about how to prevent freezing artifact in small muscle samples (Thanks!), but today, I have a completely different need.

In our Zoology course at Hendrix, we use slides that have numerous serial sections (7 to 10 microns thickness) of a baby guppy on them that have been stained with H & E.  And, a box of slides, ranging from 8 to 12 slides, is the entire guppy sectioned from the tip of its nose to the tip of its tail.  However, these slides are very old, and over the years, the mounting media has pulled away from the sections.  In addition, numerous slides have been broken or lost.

Unfortunately, no one in my Department now has the necessary skills to produce these slides for our students.  I was wondering if anyone on the list knew of a facility that could produce these slides.  I think we should be able to provide the baby guppies.  I would just have to get approval from our IACUC.

I also have a very old paper that discusses the steps that were necessary to produce the slides.  I am happy to share the methodology with anyone that could help us, and we could discuss what we would need to do at Hendrix and which steps would need to be performed at your facility.

I appreciate any advice folks are willing to share.  Thanks for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Jenn

Jennifer Dearolf, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair