[Histonet] Releasing of Patient Tissue

Cartun, Richard Richard.Cartun at hhchealth.org
Thu Jan 19 13:33:59 CST 2017

Our policy is to not release any specimen that comes to pathology in formalin.  If the patient is adamant about getting their specimen they will have to make arrangements with a funeral home to collect the specimen, and the appropriate release must be signed.  Hardware and other medical devices will be released to the appropriate company representative or shipped back to the manufacturer.   I know that our "Labor & Delivery" unit will release an occasional placenta if arrangements have been made prior to the delivery (and there is a very specific procedure that has to be followed).  But, once again, if the specimen is in formalin we cannot release it to the patient or their family.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & The Martin M. Berman, MD Immunopathology & Morphologic Proteomics Laboratory
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102