[Histonet] Histology job
kdwyatt at vet.k-state.edu
Tue Feb 21 12:36:18 CST 2017
Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Lab is hiring!
To apply: http://careers.k-state.edu/cw/en-us/job/500564/research-assistant-veterinary-diagnostic-laboratory
General Description of Position: The Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory with the College of Veterinary Medicine seeks a full time term Research Assistant. This position will cover histology duties related to service and research. Duties will included trimming (grossing) of fixed biopsy and necropsy tissues, embedding tissues in paraffin wax, cutting tissues on a microtome and preparing glass slides of the tissues in accordance with those QA/QC guidelines of an AAVLD accredited laboratory. Also, routine filing of slides, tissue blocks, data entry, operating and maintaining automated histology equipment, immunohistochemical staining, disposing of tissues and updating standard operating procedures. Job Description:
* Prepare tissue sections for histopathology: diagnostic and research samples (glass slides).
* Embed processed tissues in paraffin wax, cut tissue sections on microtome and prepare glass slides, stain tissue sections using appropriate stains for routine histopathology (H&E) and special stains as requested, coverslip slides (all steps of producing glass slides from beginning to end). Perform special stains to determine the presence of fungi, bacteria, mycobacteria or other infectious agents/abnormal cellular morphology in formalin fixed tissue sections.
* Maintain embedding station, autostainers and automatic coverslipper and tissue processors.
* Trim biopsy, necropsy and research tissues for histopathology. This task includes trimming samples for margin evaluation when necessary, documenting tissue/biopsy samples received, and providing written images/drawings/photographs for use by the pathologist reading the slides. Includes writing on or printing cassettes with the semi-automated cassette printer, cleaning and maintaining the trim areas and associated equipment.
* Maintain trim room, maintaining inventory of trimming supplies.
* Assist in the histopathology and immunohistochemistry areas.
* Assist in the process of immunohistochemical staining for prion diseases (scrapie, chronic wasting disease), very limited fluorescent antibody testing and limited operation of digital pathology projects will be required.
* Assist in writing stand operating procedures.
Required Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in microbiology, biology, chemistry, animal science or other related fields. Eight years of histology laboratory experience may be substituted for education as determined relevant by the agency. One year of wet laboratory experience. Preferred Qualifications: Certification in histotechnology, ASCP [histotechnician (HT) or histotechnologist (HTL)]; histology experiences. Familiarity with laboratory tests and procedures, working knowledge of chemistry, familiarity with animal diseases, interest in animals, a good team player and knowledge of safe laboratory practices. Special Instructions to Applicants: To apply, please submit an application along with a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references. Screening of Applications Begins: Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Equal Employment Opportunity: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law<https://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf>. Background Screening Statement: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Kristina Wyatt, M.A.
L216 Mosier Hall
Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
kdwyatt at vet.k-state.edu
More information about the Histonet