[Histonet] Modified GMS Protocols

Gudrun Lang gu.lang at gmx.at
Sat Dec 30 02:44:33 CST 2017

Biological stains were mainly found by trial and error through the century. I think the main goals were to find a good result (for the purpose) within the available resources (cheap / expensive, easy/difficult to get) and with a practical application.
Later also health-concerns played a role, that eliminated some protocols. I believe, that the "forefathers" had a hard time to find the best-working protocols. And after that, the histological community acts upon the sentence "never change a winning team" and sticks to the protocols. And we have to admit, that the chemical knowledge of the histologists and the histological knowledge of the chemists may be rather decreased than grown bigger. (a lack of universal scientists)

For the diverse oxidants I think (without literature as evidence) it is also a practical matter. The oxidizising result depends on strength of acid and duration of incubation. If you use a very strong oxidant, the time has to be watched very carefully and there is the risk of overoxidation. If you use a weaker oxidant, you have a longer time-space for a sufficient result. (5 min in periodic acid may refer to 20 sek in potassiumpermanganat ?)

Gudrun