[Histonet] Modified GMS Protocols

Nipuna Weerasinghe nipuna.we at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 06:56:23 CST 2017

Thanks for your reply Gudrun,

I agree with your statements. If KMnO4 used as a replacement for CrO3, it
should be used under much milder conditions (low temperature and less
incubation time) than H6IO5 as KMnO4 is a stronger oxidant.  However, my
question was due to the fact that KMnO4 was a commonly used oxidant and
often compared with both CrO3 and H6IO5. Lillie and McManus showed that all
three can be used to stain same carbohydrate targets (Modified PAS).[1][2]
Even some of the recent papers discuss about GMS based on KMnO4 oxidation
but I cannot see protocols, on-market kits or papers actually reporting
any.[3] If KMnO4 can work in PAS why it is not tried in GMS? So I thought
histologists work in the filed have some experience.

[1]Lillie, R. D. Histochemical Comparison of the Casella, Bauer, and
Periodic Acid Oxidation-Schiff Leucofuchsin Technics. *Stain. Technol.*
1951, *26*, 123–136.
[2]McManus, J. F. A. Periodate Oxidation Techniques. In General
Cytochemical Methods; Academy Press Inc., 1961; Vol. 2
[3]Speranza, V. D.; Fail, R. A Common Mistake When Staining for Fungi.
Histol. Tech. Bull. Histotechnol. 2004.