[Histonet] No Ribbon

Elizabeth Chlipala liz at premierlab.com
Tue Apr 11 13:13:50 CDT 2017

I might get some individuals upset but we really need to watch what we do in the histology lab and how that effects the precision of our process.  When you breath on the block you are basically generating a thicker section, it's not a good practice to keep.  Trust me I used to do this in the past.  Thicker sections especially for IHC will generate a more intense stain, most individuals may think that that should not be an issue but it is - in the clinical setting especially when you are staining for therapeutic markers such as Her2 and PD-L1 - 510K cleared kits for these recommend specific section thickness settings and in the research setting if you are running any type of analysis on a batch of samples.  If your microtome is set at 4 microns and you are breathing on the block you are not cutting at 4 microns, you are cutting thicker than that and a thicker section will increase staining intensity and therefore alter the results.

Just my two cents.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592