[Histonet] Pap stain without xylene

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigsqq.org
Thu May 26 15:21:36 CDT 2016

Xylene is becoming more and more of a nuisance material and a problem
for us in use and in disposal.  We are still able to use it but with
increasing concern.

We have been able to eliminate xylene from our staining procedures
altogether in our small laboratory.

We use a hair dryer to dry the slides in the rack after water or alcohol.

Since we read our slides right away, we have been using cedarwood oil to
clear and mount the slides.  It's cheap, and makes lovely slides with no
crystals or "floaties" or other artifacts.  It's easy to clean up
without any xylene or toluene. It's not permanent but we can remount the
slides with a permanent mounting medium if we need to keep the slides
for some reason.

*

We also have found several different methods for eliminating xylene from
the paraffin infiltration process,

and we have not used xylene for dewaxing for more than 2 years now.