[Histonet] Pap stain without xylene

Mike Toole mtoole at dcol.net
Wed May 25 14:07:20 CDT 2016

Thank you Beth,

It’s good to know that someone else had tried this and had very good results. The method you suggest is very much in line with the recommendations from René. He did recommend using a drying oven at 60°C to help ensure complete removal of any water or alcohol. And, that absolute dryness was a requirement for coverslipping without artifact such as the appearance of sand like grains or cornflakes.

Just to reiterate, was the field method performed at ambient temperature without the aid of a drying oven? And, just a thought, I suppose if the lack of electricity was an issue in a field setting, that perhaps a solar oven made with plywood and glass could be used to elevate temperature for drying.

Do you  know if altering the method for final clearing would require validation?

Mike