[Histonet] PAS/Decal Question

Marcum, Pamela A PAMarcum at uams.edu
Thu May 5 16:07:03 CDT 2016

We have no say in the decal procedure and I have been fighting this for 6 years.  It is determined by our HemePath docs and when they want bone marrows completed for clinics the next day.  We have a 24 hour turnaround time, which is ridiculous however; we cannot not change it.

The feedback we get now is the PAS stain on the bone marrows Levels 2 and 4 are not staining evenly.  They show a smudginess in some cells on the lower or level 4 section/ or they look over processed/cooked.  WE have done manual, instrument and now Dako Artisan (Dako has bend over backward to help) and nothing changes what they see on the slides.  They will not even consider changing the early steps as I have been told decal is fine (no its not) and processing is fine.  Funny thing H&Es are always fine and only the PAS is a problem.  Just tired of it.

This has been a losing fight for almost 5 months and I reached out to all of you in hopes it would help us make some changes.  Thank you for your suggestions unfortunately no one wants to hear about changes if they mean it is not a 24 hour turnaround time.  I am almost ready to just say "garbage in garbage out".  I feel very bad for the patients at this point.  I have not given up just trying to find a way to get change and better results.

Thank You All for Your Suggestions!!

Pam