[Histonet] PAS/Decal Question

Gudrun Lang gu.lang at gmx.at
Thu May 5 02:19:15 CDT 2016

Hi Pam,
my personal opinion is, that 2 hours fixation is too short for sufficient
tissue-protection before acid decalcification. Formic acid at 50°C must have
an impact on glycoproteins. Wether it is a kind of solving the "sugars" or
beginning oxidation of the OH-groups (like periodic acid does in the
PAS-reaction).

In our lab we do also acid decal with formic acid for at least 6 hours at
RT, after one day in NBF. Our processing protocol is the routine-protocol
over night. How thick are your BMT, also 3-4 mm?
In my opinion 4 hours are a challenge. Are the other stainings of the BMT
optimal or show sometimes similar outcome? "Smudginess" reminds me of
insufficient infiltration.

I also see that our PAS is not as bright as in the other specimens without
decal. Sometimes it gives more the impression of a diastase-PAS.

Gudrun