[Histonet] CD34 for primate tissue

Elizabeth Chlipala liz at premierlab.com
Thu Jun 30 10:25:08 CDT 2016

Cathy

Before doing that I would check the sequence homology of the immunogen between human and rhesus.  I would do this for all sources of the antibody, if the company does not want to provide you with the sequence then technical support should be able to blast the sequence for you and get back to you the sequence homology, greater than 70% is worth a shot it may not work or it may not.  You also need to check if it's the same clone it might be the same antibody just distributed by different vendors, check the protein concentration, purification method, isotype, and if there are matching images you are likely looking at the same antibody so you don't want to waste your time with ordering the same antibody but from a different vendor.    Remember information on specification sheets can be inaccurate - this depends upon the vendor, some vendors actually test internally while other vendors rely of user for cross reactivity information so you need to take that information with a grain of salt.  My suggestion is to take a look at the antibody on CiteAb - this website is a bit better than biocompare since it rates antibodies by number of citations, check to see if the other antibodies have publications with your use case.  The link for CiteAb is https://www.citeab.com/ We find with some antibodies that work across species that the primary antibody concentration may fluctuate so a concentration that works in human may not work in the particular species you are working with.  There are many other parameters such as time in fixation between your human tissue and rhesus tissue.  Are you getting any hint of staining or is it just completely negative.

It's really important to spend some significant time upfront when researching antibodies for a new target - you want to biases yourself towards success.  If you are an NSH member I posted a worksheet for target development on the BLOCK you can access it there.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308