[Histonet] mounting medium for DAB & AP chromogens

Tyrone Genade tgenade at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 12:42:16 CDT 2016

Hello,

I'm currently using an ancient bottle of xylene based mounting medium and
want to get something better that will serve multiple purposes.

In the past I had used entellan for DAB and routine histo stains (i.e. H&E)
but then a student accidentally (recklessly?) used my Mowiol + n-propyl
gallate mounting medium (that I use for fluorescence) for a PTAH stain and
it is worked well, retaining the sharpness of the stain much longer than
the entellan did. In the past I had used the Mowiol for DAB and that seemed
to work well. I am now preparing to perform staining with AEC and Fastred
that don't like the alcohol dehydration steps needed for a xylene mounting
medium. Is there any reason why I can't simply use the Mowiol mounting
medium for all my work? It isn't like the DAB is going to dissolve... I am
using methyl green as a counter stain for my current work.

The mowiol mounting medium is glycerol based (
http://cshprotocols.cshlp.org/content/2006/1/pdb.rec10255.full?text_only=true
with n-propyl gallate instead of DABCO).

Thanks
--
Tyrone Genade
Orange City, Iowa