[Histonet] stored unstained sections

Terri Braud tbraud at holyredeemer.com
Tue Jun 7 12:35:40 CDT 2016

Cut slides stored at room temp seem to last quite a long time for routine stains, however, cut slides do demonstrate a loss of antigenicity for IHC staining, depending on the antibody.

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
ph: 215-938-3689
fax: 215-938-3874

Today's Topics:

   1. retaining cut slides to keep or not to keep (Rachel M Gonzalez)

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 13:15:13 -0400
From: Rachel M Gonzalez <rachel at gbi-inc.com>

Hi everyone,
I work in a research lab and have a number of slides that have been cut by the previous person in this position. Several slides are over one year.  I would like to know what is the standard practice for keeping cut slides? I have used them and they stain just fine but the question was brought up in a lab meeting.
How long can you keep unbaked slides? Room temperature/4C
How long can you keep baked slides? Room temperature/4C
Thanks
Rachel Gonzalez PhD