[Histonet] H & E Troubleshooting

Cassie P. Davis CDavis at che-east.org
Wed Feb 24 08:21:12 CST 2016

"Another theory floating in the lab is because we bleach the stain buckets over the weekend maybe the bleach is saturating the bucket and slowly leaching out diluting the hematoxylin later in the day. (I would think this would be the case for all the slides not just the last few)"

I guess I need to give more details...the first few runs look "fine" per my supervisor. If we didn't rinse the buckets I would think the first few runs would look pale too...Leaching out bleach later in the day seems illogical to me. This is why I am leaning toward the xylene being saturated (but we didn't have half the cases that we normally do and it was fresh Monday morning when this occurred) Or the tap water which is hooked directly to our stainer and can vary from clean to yellow to tan within a day. I had this issue with the tap water when I was at another facility a few block from this one in the same city. I just need another voice of reason to show my supervisor.

Cassandra Davis
Histology Technician
Anatomical Pathology Laboratory
Saint Francis Healthcare