[Histonet] GLOMERULI ADEQUACY

Jeffrey Robinson JRobinson at pathology-associates.com
Wed Apr 13 11:43:19 CDT 2016

Hi Melissa-  when Tim Morken taught me to be an EM tech many moons ago we would take a small dissecting microscope to the CT room.  We would have the radiologist place the first core on a sterile tongue depressor and then we would check it in some saline on a dental wax square under the scope.  The viable gloms were quite easy to see.  We could ask for an additional core or two right then if we felt it was needed.  We would then place the cores in a saline vial and take them back to our lab to split up the cores into the appropriate fixatives.  It really was quite valuable to have that interaction with the radiologists and to have the ability to ensure that we were obtaining adequate samples with the dual goals of giving ourselves enough tissue to perform the EM workup as well as avoiding any repeat biopsies due to inadequate sampling.

Jeff Robinson, Senior Histotechnologist, EM Tech Emeritus, Sierra Pathology Lab, Clovis, CA.