[Histonet] GLOMERULI ADEQUACY

Cartun, Richard Richard.Cartun at hhchealth.org
Wed Apr 13 11:06:33 CDT 2016

We provide on-site assessment of the renal tissue obtained in Ultrasound, both at our main hospital and at our Children's hospital across the street.  I handle probably 95% of the biopsies; I have two pathology colleagues (MDs) that handle the other 5% when I am not here.  Occasionally, a resident or fellow (trained by me) will handle a biopsy after-hours.  We place the core(s) on a glass slide with a few drops of saline or RPMI and then examine it under a microscope using 4x and 10x objectives in Ultrasound.  We tell the interventional radiologist/PA or the nephrologist performing the procedure when the specimen is adequate.  We usually obtain adequate tissue with 2, 18-gauge needle cores in more than 90% of the procedures; sometimes we need to ask for a 3rd core.  On the other hand, I can make one core work when it's more than 2.0 cm long if there's cortex at both ends.  However, I don't recommend obtaining cores this long.  We have not had to repeat a biopsy over the last 25 years.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & The Martin M. Berman, MD Immunopathology & Morphologic Proteomics Laboratory
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102