[Histonet] Xylene and Formalin substitutes

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 22 08:02:47 CDT 2015

The most straight forward solution to your problem is the following:
1- change from ethanol dehydration to 2-propanol (isopropyl-alcohol)2- after 100% propanol, go directly a mixture 1:1 of propanol with mineral oil light molecular weight3- go to your regular paraffin embedding steps. These changes will eliminate xylene and is your best (and cheapest) option because there is NO xylene substitute available that will outperform what I have just recommended and they are ALL very expensive.
As regarding formalin, there is NO substitute that will provide a comparable fixation, NO one, no matter what you have "heard" about it.The best option is to reduce the amount of formalin and the exposure.Contrary to "common knowledge" that you need a proportion of 10:1 → 40:1 of formalin volume to specimen volume, that is an "urban legend" and totally wrong rooted in years of repeating the same thing endlessly.You only need a 2:1 and at the most 5:1 volume of formalin to specimen volume.If you want to have additional information on these two issues and read about it, please visit:Histosearch: The Histology Search Engine
|   |
| Histosearch: The Histology Search EngineCopyright © 2007. All rights reserved.  Privacy Policy - Disclaimer  |
|  |
| View on www.histosearch.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |