[Histonet] Xylene and Formalin substitutes

Amanda Reichard areichard at lmhealth.org
Thu Oct 22 06:12:19 CDT 2015

Good Morning!

Our lab actually just went through some research regarding this, so I thought I would share.
We have used the xylene substitute Americlear from Cardinal Health for a long time.  It works well with our reagent alcohols and formalin, and we haven't had any processing or staining issues with it. I think the price isn't that bad either. Another benefit is how safe it is compared to xylene and some other substitutes.  We were looking into getting a new piece of cytology equipment, but we would have had to change our xylene substitute.  The approved substitutes (Pro-Par, Thermo Shandon Xylene Substitute, and Histo-clear) all had really bad MSDS's. Some of them seemed worse than xylene! I can't remember which one, but it said it caused birth defects which was a big NO since a few of us in the lab still want more babies.
Because of the safety issue, we didn't switch.
I would be interested in any answers you get for formalin substitutes if you don't mind! I know our lab tried some before, but it didn't fix lymph nodes very well.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Amanda Reichard, HTL (ASCP)cm
Histology Supervisor
Laboratory