[Histonet] optic chiasmata

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Sun May 10 21:14:15 CDT 2015

Slow freezing results in formation of ice crystals. In brain tissue (fresh or formaldehyde-fixed) these destroy the architecture, which is replaced by a sponge-like texture of approximately cell-sized holes. Cryoprotection of fixed tissue with 30% sucrose ameliorates this, but freezing at -4C or -20C is asking too much of the cryoprotective action. You need a surface at or below -80C. A cryostat chuck standing in a slush of solid CO2 and acetone is OK. Isopentane in a small metal can standing in liquid nitrogen is better. Test your technique first on an unimportant piece of white matter about the same thickness as the optic chiasma, and cut test sections through different levels in the specimen, because some parts will freeze more slowly than others.

John A. Kiernan
Anatomy & Cell Biology
University of Western Ontario
London, Canada