[Histonet] Tol Blue

Linda Prasad (SCHN) linda.prasad <@t> health.nsw.gov.au
Tue Mar 24 17:52:38 CDT 2015

The mast cells are meant to turn purple. It’s a metachromatic stain. So the tol blue stains the tissue blue and the mast cells purple.

Mast cell granules                      	Purple
Acid Mucosubstance                      	Purple
Nuclei                                  Blue

Mast cells are rich in heparin. This allows them to be stained via acid mucopolysaccharide and metachromatic staining techniques. Churukian and Schenk developed this metachromatic dye-technique to reduce the excessive background staining that is common with metachromatic dye techniques.

Linda Prasad | Senior Scientist | Histopathology
t: (02) 9845 3306 | f: (02) 9845 3318 | e: linda.prasad <@t> health.nsw.gov.au | w: www.schn.health.nsw.gov.au
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead, NSW Australia
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead 2145, NSW Australia
♲  Please consider the environment before printing this email.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bryan Llewellyn
Sent: Wednesday, 25 March 2015 9:13 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Tol Blue

Try the method at:

http://stainsfile.info/StainsFile/stain/cell/aldtolblue.htm

Bryan Llewellyn

Kimberly Marshall wrote:
> ?Hello my fellow Histo Techs.  Have a question I just know someone out there can answer for me.
>
> In canine tissue, we are having problems with the Tol Blue for mast cell.  Am experiencing metachromasia, or the mast cells turning purple not blue.  I have attempted to decrease time, or add time, but its not helping.  My pathologist says he has had this issue before.  So question is.  Could it be the mast cell in a dog does not stain the same? Is there another stain that may work?  Any help will be much appreciated.
>

> Thanks in Advance.
>
> Kimberly Marshall H.T.(ASCP)
>

> Kimberly Marshall H.T.(ASCP)
>
> Histology/Lab Supervisor
>
> Toll Free 1-800-426-2099
>
> Fax 801-584-5104
>
> PO Box 17580
>
> Salt Lake City, Utah 84107
>
> www.animalreferencepathology.com<http://www.animalreferencepathology.com/>
>

> Advancing the art and science of veterinary medicine
>

> [cid:image001.jpg <@t> 01CF8F87.A0BD4830]

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Sydney Children's Hospitals Network.

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Sydney Childrens Hospital's Network accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.