[Histonet] BS in Histotechnology

suetp918 suetp918 <@t> comcast.net
Tue Mar 24 16:46:33 CDT 2015

I agree

-------- Original message --------
From: Carl Nituda <Cnituda <@t> nvdermatology.com>
Date:03/24/2015  2:32 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: "Marcum, Pamela A" <PAMarcum <@t> uams.edu>, "'Sanders, Jeanine (CDC/OID/NCEZID)'" <jqb7 <@t> cdc.gov>, Sue <suetp918 <@t> comcast.net>, Timothy Morken <Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsf.edu>
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu, Jennifer MacDonald <JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu>
Subject: RE: [Histonet] BS in Histotechnology

I personally think that a person just can't call themselves a Histotechnologist unless they went to school, training, and then pass the BOC by ASCP.  Anyone, I mean anyone can perform a job with proper training in any field but that doesn't mean they should have that title until they pass certification.

For hiring managers, I encourage you to hire certified candidates as priority and call them a Histotechnician, or Histotechnologist based on their certification.  If a person is doing Histology work and is uncertified, encourage them to be certified and just don't give them a title.  Imagine a world when people doing the job is actually certified like other professions, then you will get the respect from your colleagues that you deserve.  Changes for the future of the profession starts with good leaders.

Have a good and blessed week everyone.

Carl Nituda