[Histonet] Tol Blue

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Tue Mar 24 17:00:55 CDT 2015

On occasion you might lose the metachromatic staining with T. Blue if you if you dehydrate in alcohol.  We normally air dry, place in xylene and coverslip.  You will never run into a problem with the staining if you do that.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 682-9060 fax
(303) 881-0763 cell
liz <@t> premierlab.com
www.premierlab.com

March 10, 2014 is Histotechnology Professionals Day

Ship to Address:

Premier Laboratory, LLC
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jennifer MacDonald
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 3:55 PM
To: Kimberly Marshall
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Tol Blue

Mast cells granules are metachromatic.  What you see is the expected staining reaction.

From:   Kimberly Marshall <Kimberly <@t> animalreferencepathology.com>
To:     "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"
Date:   03/24/2015 02:20 PM
Subject:        [Histonet] Tol Blue
Sent by:        histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

?Hello my fellow Histo Techs.  Have a question I just know someone out
there can answer for me.

In canine tissue, we are having problems with the Tol Blue for mast cell.
Am experiencing metachromasia, or the mast cells turning purple not blue.
I have attempted to decrease time, or add time, but its not helping.  My
pathologist says he has had this issue before.  So question is.  Could it
be the mast cell in a dog does not stain the same? Is there another stain
that may work?  Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Kimberly Marshall H.T.(ASCP)

Kimberly Marshall H.T.(ASCP)

Histology/Lab Supervisor

Toll Free 1-800-426-2099

Fax 801-584-5104

PO Box 17580

Salt Lake City, Utah 84107

www.animalreferencepathology.com<http://www.animalreferencepathology.com/>

Advancing the art and science of veterinary medicine

[cid:image001.jpg <@t> 01CF8F87.A0BD4830]