[Histonet] General Genetics (lecture and lab textbooks)

Jorge A. Santiago-Blay blayjorge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 18:34:32 CDT 2015

General Genetics (lecture and lab textbooks)

Dear Histonet-Listers:

I wish to know if you have recommendations of *excellent* textbooks
(lecture and labs) for General Genetics for science majors. Although I just
finished teaching an upper division Genetic Analysis course and I am well
familiarized with what is available, I am not as familiarized with la creme
de la creme for General Genetics.

Ideally, I want a textbook that is (list is not comprehensive):
1. As inexpensive as possible (available online, softbound, etc.).

2. Easy to read, understand. and profusely illustrated.

3. Does not assume more than intro. biology (for majors) knowledge.

4. Emphasizes principles of genetics, model organisms, critical thinking,
experimental design, ecological and conservation genetics, etc.

5. Has a generous companion packages (incl. PowerPoints, online quiz
cartridges - not the ones that reside with the publishers but the ones than
reside on campus only, etc.). For anything online, technology is as close
to 100% reliable and intuitive as possible.

6. Does not shy away from math and stats (because I do not shy away from
those either).

7. Is not divorced of the historical context of genetics.

8. Highlights the importance of genetics in modern life.

9. For labs, all of the above and not just the usual genetics exercises. I
want a book that invites exploration and engages all of us in the field.
Ideally, with a manual for s/he that may be helping with setting up the lab.

If you have any feedback, please kindly send it directly to me,
blayjorge at gmail.com

With gratefulness,

Jorge

P.S Apologies for potential duplicate emails.

Jorge A. Santiago-Blay, PhD
blaypublishers.comblay.cfm
<http://paleobiology.si.edu/staff/individuals/santiagoblay.cfm>