[Histonet] General Genetics (lecture and lab textbooks)

John Kiernan jkiernan at uwo.ca
Fri Jun 12 00:31:43 CDT 2015

Dear Jorge A. Santiago-Blay,

How did you learn enough about "General Genetics for science majors" to be hired to teach the subject? Do you not own at least one textbook in the field? How did you qualify to teach the subject?

With the internet (Google) it will be easy to find the most recent edition of the text from which you studied General Genetics. You could buy the book or ask the publisher for a free copy. Publishers happily provide free textbooks to instructors, hoping that every student will buy a copy of the "adopted" textbook.

Why ask me? My fields of interest, before I retired, were Neuroanatomy and Histochemistry, not Genetics.

Does your institution have a way to warn students that an instructor does not know a suitable textbook for his course? Your students may need such a warning!

J. A. Kiernan
Anatomy & Cell Biology
University of Western Ontario
London, Canada