[Histonet] Pre-floating tissue sections in dilute alcohol

Joana Moreira jmoreira at sidra.org
Sat Jun 6 23:17:37 CDT 2015

I Garrey,
I came across floating sections in dilute alcohol back in 2005 when I started working in the UK and have been using it ever since.
I agree it introduces one more step and wouldn't use for every single section - there's no need. But I do find it very helpful with certain blocks/tissues - especially the very 'wrinkly' ones.

When I started cutting during my training, we used other technique to avoid wrinkles (and waste of tissue sections) and produce 'perfect' sections. We used to have a small cold water bath to float and pick up the sections before transferring to the temperature controlled water bath.

Joana

Joana Moreira
Supervisor - Anatomical Pathology
Department of Pathology