[Histonet] Breast fixation

Cartun, Richard Richard.Cartun at hhchealth.org
Fri Jul 31 14:28:44 CDT 2015

There are several studies (one listed below) that have addressed the issue of fixation past the "recommended" 72 hour maximum.  In my opinion, the science behind these fixation recommendations is "weak" at best.  In my own experience, I have seen no problem whatsoever going well past 72 hours of fixation.  The majority of breast cases will show internal positive controls for ER and PR to validate that the tissue is satisfactory for testing.  Remember, working with your pathologist(s) you can perform your own validation on-site for extended fixation time.  The real culprit for poor ER, PR, and HER2 IHC results is "inadequate" fixation.

Reference:  Tong LC, Nelson N, Tsourigiannis J, et al.:  The effect of prolonged fixation on the IHC evaluation of ER, PR, and HER2 expression in invasive breast cancer:  A prospective study.  Am J Surg Pathol 2011;35:545-552.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102