[Histonet] Masson's on Frozens.

Bob Richmond rsrichmond at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 19:01:54 CDT 2015

Bernice Frederick HTL (ASCP) at Northwestern in Chicago USA asks:

>>When we stain and H&E on frozen [sections] we fix in 95% prior to
staining. As I never in 30 years have done a Masson's Trichrome on a
frozen section I ask: do I need to fix and then mordant as usual or go
straight to the  Bouin's and continue as normal? Do I need to mordant at
all? Tissue is rabbit liver.<<

Are you communicating with your pathologist? What are you trying to do?

The one-step trichrome techniques associated with the hallowed name of
George Gomori (particularly the Engel-Cunningham variant) are probably
preferable for frozen sections - they certainly are for skeletal muscle -
where I have a lot of experience, though many years ago. But find out
what's wanted.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN