[Histonet] Ventana LCS (Liquid Cover Slip)

Sebree Linda A LSebree at uwhealth.org
Thu Jul 2 12:20:07 CDT 2015

You certainly can air/oven dry your slides instead of running them down and coverslipping; we do that with the slides we take off in the morning when we get in.  As to your problem with water/oil on your slides, something is not right in your dawn water rinsing, dehydration and/or clearing steps...but I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know already.

I would change out all the graded alcohols and xylenes so you know the right reagents are in your containers.  Next, I would make sure that whomever is rinsing the slides, that they are using warm or even hot Dawn water and that they are rinsing long enough for your DAB slides.  If you're also running APR you may want to do the air/oven drying to xylene method to maintain the chromogen binding.

Other than these steps, I don't know what else to suggest.  A long, long time ago when I worked in an old lab with water chilled pipes for air conditioning, I ran into a lot of humidity in the summer and actually had to add molecular sieve to my 100% alcohol in my dehydration set-up or my xylenes would get contaminated with water but we're talking the mid 70's so I'm hoping you're not running into something similar.

Hope this helps,

Linda

Linda A. Sebree
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
IHC/ISH Laboratory, Rm A4/204-3224
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792
(608)265-6596