[Histonet] Covergrip

Paula Pierce contact <@t> excaliburpathology.com
Fri Jan 30 09:26:45 CST 2015

I have used Crystal Mount for the last 15-20 years for coverslipping Oil Red O, AEC, and other stains needing aqueous mounting media.
Biomeda went out of business a few years ago, but this is a very good substitute.
ClearMount in PIPES Buffer.
Adhesives and Mountants: Chemicals for Light Microscopy, Histology and Electron Microscopy

Place a few drops on the wet section, let it completely dry, then coverslip with regular resin mounting media.
ClearMount forms an impervious barrier to the xylene based media and the slides do last for years.   Paula Pierce,BS, HTL(ASCP)HT President Excalibur Pathology, Inc. 5830 N Blue Lake Dr. Norman, OK 73069 405-759-3953 PH 405-759-7513 FAX www.excaliburpathology.com
      From: Keyser Gerald T <GKeyser <@t> uwhealth.org>
 To: "'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
 Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 8:47 AM
 Subject: [Histonet] Covergrip

I would like to better seal my Oil Red O slides. The current process uses aqueous mountant on the inside of the large coverslips and Permount on the outside; which is incredibly messy and isn't actually that great of a seal.

The two options I'm looking at is:

1)      Nail polish.

2)      Covergrip

I would like to get away with using nail polish because it's 10% of the cost of Covergrip. We don't actually do a whole lot of Oil Red O stains.  But, I'm a little concerned that the solvents in the nail polish may permeate the aqueous mountant and mess with the sections. Slides need to be good for 10 years.

Opinions?

Gerry