[Histonet] RE: Problem with cracked paraffin blocks

Jeffrey Robinson JRobinson <@t> pathology-associates.com
Fri Jan 23 12:50:28 CST 2015

Regarding the paraffin/plastic stratification:  we used to get the reddish "paraffin dust bunnies" in the paraffin pots apparently from the separation and stratification of the paraffin and the plasticizers.  I bought a big wood paddle from the industrial kitchen supply store (about $12) and we stir the melted paraffin in the paraffin pots once a day to help keep it mixed up.  It seems to have helped some.

Jeff Robinson, HT, HTL, Senior Histotechnologist, Sierra Pathology Lab, Clovis, CA.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Wheelock, Timothy R.
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 9:55 AM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] Problem with cracked paraffin blocks

Hi again  everyone:

I want to thank you all for your advice.
The consensus is that I have my new embedding center's cold plate set way too low at -14C, and that I should try raising it to around -5C to cure my cracked block problem.
I will run some test blocks over the weekend, and then embed them at this new temperature on Monday.
Otherwise my Valida embedding center is working very nicely (as did the HistoStar when I demoed it).
The cassette holding tank can accommodate a large number of brain specimens  and the controls are very easy to use.
Thanks again for your advice.
Have a great weekend.

Tim

Tim Wheelock
Harvard Brain Bank
McLean Hospital
Belmont, MA

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly dispose of the e-mail.