[Histonet] rodent eye

Gowan,Christie C christiecgowan <@t> dermatology.med.ufl.edu
Wed Jan 21 10:23:06 CST 2015

Hi Casie,
Hope by now you have rec'd some good tips on rodent eye prep. The only thing I have to offer is that we always used Davidson's fixative for 24 hours and then transferred to 70% ETOH. This worked beautifully preserving all eye components. Good luck and don't forget to check the Histonet archives where I know rodent eyes have been discussed in the past.

Christie Gowan HT (ASCP)

Department of Dermatology
4037 NW 86th Terrace, 4th Fl
Mohs Laboratory
Gainesville, FL 32606
Phone: 352 594-1529

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of Casie Phillips [casie4384 <@t> gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 2:53 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] rodent eye

Good afternoon,

I am currently working with Lewis rats performing corneal alkali injuries
at varying strengths. Is there someone there that has prior experience
working with a rat eye and would be willing to share information on the
most effective ways to preserve, fix and cut the cornea sample.

We are interested in using the cornea without using the whole globe if
possible. For now we will be using basic H&E staining with a possibility of
immunohistochemistry at a later time. The main outcome we are looking for
is to find the presence of neutrophils in the cornea. A second objective is
to look for any damaged or newly reconstructed tissue.

I would greatly appreciate any advice relating to the type of paraffin
used, the ideal length of time to save the tissue and any assistance you
can suggest for completing this process  successfully.

Thank you for your time. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Casie Phillips
Casie4384 <@t> gmail.com