[Histonet] RE: embedding

Victoria Baker bakevictoria <@t> gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 09:40:46 CST 2015

I have found really hot molds more difficult to work with but it is really
an individual preference.
What has worked for me is - put just enough paraffin in base mold to come
up to rim of embedding area.  Embed tissue.  Add just a little more
paraffin to bring it up to where plastic cassette top comes into contact
with hot paraffin. Tilt mold gently to spread paraffin.  Press cassette top
down and add enough paraffin to cassette top to come up half way. Do 5 - 6
blocks and then top off with hot paraffin.
The paraffin has had a chance to harden just enough to where it won't run
out from under the cassette and remain pretty clean.
Everyone has there tricks you just need to see what works best for you.
Vikki