[Histonet] Receipt of specimens

Abbott, Tanya TanyaAbbott <@t> catholichealth.net
Mon Feb 9 11:49:48 CST 2015

I am curious as to how everyone handles the receipt of their surgical, and Cytology specimens in to the lab? Especially on the off shift hours? Other clinical lab specimens are received directly in the computer in Specimen Processing when they come in the door from remote locations or via the tube system, then delivered to departments. During the day, specimens get dropped off directly to Pathology by the various departments collecting (ie. OR, Radiology, etc). On our off shifts, specimens get received by Specimen Processing(date/time stamped and initialed)  and put in the fridge for Histo/Cyto the next day. When Histo and Cyto put the specimens in the computer, for the "receive date", they go by the date the specimens are "received" (or unpacked) in Histo/Cyto. I am thinking we should go by the date/time Specimen Processing received them in to the actually laboratory where the specimens are then "controlled".
Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
Tanya

Tanya G. Abbott
Manager Technologist
Histology/Cytology
St Joseph Medical Center
(phone) 610-378-2635

This email and attachments contain information that may be confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender at once and delete this message completely from your information system. Further use, disclosure, or copying of information contained in this email is not authorized, and any such action should not be construed as a waiver of privilege or other confidentiality protections.