[Histonet] Re: H. Pylori Testing

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 13:32:23 CDT 2015

Helicobacter heilmannii (sorry I misspelled it before) was named
Gastrospirillum hominis when it was first described. Tight cylindrical
spirals, unlike the "gull-wing" (like you learned to draw birds in the sky
when you were in the fourth grade) morphology of H. pylori. I'm not sure
you could see those tight cylindrical spirals clearly using IHC, and tell
them from gull-wings.

Sensitivity on Giemsa staining depends on microscopic technique. Real men
don't use oil immersion in pathology, but you need an oil lens to make the
morphologic confirmation, and to search the occasional slide that has
neutrophils in the pyloric lamina propria (chronic active gastritis), and
this is time-consuming and messy, and few pathologists do it.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN