[Histonet] Re: H. Pylori Testing

Garreyf garreyf <@t> gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 13:18:49 CDT 2015

In the past when using giemsa stain,
I came across two human cases of very long helicobacter organisms.. I was stumped the first time since I had never seen one previously. I reflexed both to immuno and both were positive with the h pylori antibody. I assume they were both heilmani. I think it was called gastrospirillum in the past.I agree the immuno stain is much faster (easier)to look at.  I've never studied it but it's sensitivity is probably just a little better than giemsa. It's those cases with very few organisms that are more apt to  be missed using a non-immuno type of stain.  Agree about the contaminants as well .... we alway went on the seagull shaped morphology though.

Garrey

Sent from my iPhone