[Histonet] prevent wrinkles when cutting

Marcum, Pamela A PAMarcum <@t> uams.edu
Mon Apr 20 11:26:44 CDT 2015

How thick are you cutting?  Is the block cold?  Are you using disposable knives?  Are you moving the knife when you start sectioning?  How fast are you attempting to cut?
What kind of tissue are you cutting?  Do you know which paraffin is being used?

There are many reasons for wrinkles and these are few of the questions we need to answer first.

Pam Marcum

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rachel M Gonzalez
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 11:07 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] prevent wrinkles when cutting

Hi

Thursday was the first time I ever used a microtome.... I move to a lab that does not have someone dedicated to cutting. I already miss her.

I have no problems getting ribbons of 10-30 sections long but the pieces are half the size of the original block. I am guessing they are wrinkling.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Rachel
Senior Scientist....