[Histonet] prevent wrinkles when cutting

Anne Murvosh amurvosh <@t> advancederm.net
Mon Apr 20 11:25:33 CDT 2015

First make sure your block is cold.  Second, some models of microtome's and blades don't cut well without dulling the blade a bit.(newer models don't seem to need it.)  Lastly some processors don’t fix as well as others you may need to face the blocks in and soak them.  Again some places soak in ice water alone, some use fabric softener on the ice and some use ammonia water. (that one is stinky). Some places do soaking at all.  I now have a really old microtome and have to blow or breath on the paraffin lightly as I'm cutting, an old technique but effective.  Sorry its going to be a lot of trial and error.  Maybe you can call the previous tech on how they did it there.  Anne

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rachel M Gonzalez
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 9:07 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] prevent wrinkles when cutting

Hi

Thursday was the first time I ever used a microtome.... I move to a lab
that does not have someone dedicated to cutting. I already miss her.

I have no problems getting ribbons of 10-30 sections long but the pieces
are half the size of the original block. I am guessing they are wrinkling.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Rachel
Senior Scientist....